Saturday, November 9, 2013

General Conference October

This year for General Conference we put up a tent in the living room and watched conference on TV hooked up to the computer.  We were following the example of the people of King Benjamin who pitched their tents towards the temple.  The kids love conference because we play a treat game with them if they hear a word they get a treat, so they are listening.  We told the kids that if the speakers say the word tent we would go get ice cream and the first talk was exactly about the people of King Benjamin and how they pitched their "houses" toward the temple.  We were so excited that they were using the exact example that we were trying to follow but bummed that he didn't say "tent".
Conference was awesome.  I love to hear the words of the apostles of the Lord.  It makes me want to be better and gives me the strength to try to be better.
Other things that are going on in my life, I am seminary teacher.  I have one student and we have seminary at my house at 6 AM.  I was really nervous to have to wake up early everyday and to have to have a lesson ready everyday, but it has been such a blessing in my life.  I love reading and studying the Book of Mormon, but I have noticed a calm and peace that I have had toward the kids.  I can tell a difference when I don't study and prepare.  I have learned to love this calling even if it makes me wake up at 5:45, that is right I get ready in about 9 minutes, and I am wearing a skirt.
Also there has been a albanian that has been taking the discussions and I have been able to help translate for her and I love it.  I realized that I spoke pretty well on my mission, I have always been very hesitant with my language skills, but my skills now are ok, so I know they were much better when I was on my mission so that gives me confidence. 
I have also learned that truly the missionaries have the mantel to teach, even if I want to take over the discussion because I am excited to speak Albanian, the missionaries testimony has greater power than any words that I can say or translate. 

2 comments:

Susan said...

I TOTALLY loved your idea about pitching your tent toward the temple and the prophet!! That is so exciting that it makes it fun for the whole family to listen.
I want to do that with Grandpa next year!
I'm glad that you are having such a great experience with seminary. I am also reading the BofM. I am in Words of Mormon. There is a wonderful set of books by Hugh Nibley that are the Honors BofM class at BYU. I have learned so much from his insights.
Isn't it wonderful how the Lord places you in paths that help you to grow and helps others to be strengthened. You are an AMAZING WOMAN!! What a joy you are in my life.

Elaine said...

Your Albanian was always excellent. You taught me everything I know, ashtu siq duhet mami!