Friday, October 24, 2008

Blue Ridge Parkway

This last weekend we were able to go to the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. It is peak time for the leaves to change colors and also there are a few festivals to enjoy. David and I have made a tradition of going up there in October. The first time we went, I was 8 months pregnant and we camped. The second year we went up Eliza was 10 months and we camped. Well this year Fenton is 6 weeks old and I really didn't want to tent camp with a little infant so I looked into getting a cabin. David was very disappointed that we weren't going camping. He said that I was a wuss and that his son needed to man up and tent camp. So I compromised and looked for the most primitive of cabins. I found a 18 feet by 10 feet cabin that had only 3 sets of bunk beds, a light bulb and a space heater. That meant that we could still have our fire and David could still cook outside but we didn't have to worry about the weather and wind and rain. It was appropriately called the camping cabin. We are sooooo lucky that we did get this little cabin because every night it froze. It was so cold.


We left Friday and took our time getting up there. We stopped and picked some delicious apples at a orchard, took some pics, and had some lunch.


We planned on attending the Wooly Worm festival. this is a festival similar to the ground hogs day, but this determines the winter. They race little fuzzy worms up a string and the winner of all 40 heats is analyzed and the stripes on the worm determine the winter. It is a fun little festival and we raced our wooly worms. We both lost miserably but it was still fun.


We also drove around on some crazy side roads and found a little place for David to fish. It was fun to get lost on some dirt roads that very well have lead us to tennessee.






Sunday we went to church and drove around and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. The colors were great and the weather was much better on Sunday.





We packed up and came home monday. It was a great trip to get away from the house and enjoy the mountains. We both really miss them being close.
The kids did really great on the trip. Eliza loved it and Fenton was a trooper. The downfall of this all is that we are all sick, accept for David. Poor little kids.

The house is coming really close to move in. It is all painted, the tile is in, the bottom kitchen cupboards are in, the bathroom vanity is in. We have the detail work to do and the carpet. We are still hoping for next Friday... we are praying!!!

7 comments:

Melinda said...

Oh, Ana, I'm soooooooo homesick. The pictures are just gorgeous. My heart is aching to see those mountains all colored again.
I love your big pic at the top. I have a pic almost like that. Mountains in the fall=awesome tradition.

Tiffany Gremmert said...

Looks like you had a great time on your quick getaway. Sorry we bailed on you but looks like you had fun keeping up with your tradition just the same!

Matt and Debbie said...

It was nice to see pictures of your trip! Let me know if you need an extra hand this week, Matt or I. We should mostly be available, except Matt is catching a trial Monday.

JonathanJeni said...

Saying that we are jealous is a HUGE understatement! We so wish we could have been there with you guys! That would have been a blast! By the way, I made Ethan's woolly worm costume for Ethan - that's how bad we miss it. We are sure glad you all had fun. Feel better and good luck on the house.

Michelle said...

Oh how I miss the east at this time of year... not so much in March when it is still snowing (well in upstate NY anyway). I have a picture similar to the apple picking one from NY. We could so use a vacation like that!

kelli said...

Looks like a lot of fun.

Susan said...

I LOVE your pictures!! It looks so beautiful there. Last year I kept your picture as my backdrop on the computer almost all year long. It helped me get away in my mind. I'm so glad you hung in there about the cabin. It is hard to camp when you're cold. I noticed that all of you have cute little red noses. I can't wait for the time that we can come along and race our wooly worms. What a Wonderful tradition. MOM