Monday, July 12, 2010

Martin's Cove


My brother Blake was getting married in Denver, CO so we decided to make a trip of getting there, so Clint and his family, my family and my parents spent a day in Martin's cove. For those of you who are not familiar with the Mormon historical site, it is where the Martin hand cart company got caught in a bad winter and many died. It is a very sacred place where many of the faith died and many survived. It was a great experience. David and I had been here before with our parents ward when we were dating. This is the place that I fell in love with David. He has such a great testimony and is such a survivor. It was great to see him in a place that our faith could be tested and also strengthened.
This trip was a bit different, of course with 2 kids, but they were great. We hiked the trail with 2 hand carts and the kids rode in it most of the time. We had lunch and then headed into the actual cove of which you can't bring the hand carts so we carried the kids. We saw rabbits and antelopes. It was a great experience.

As we were watching other wards and families enjoy this same experience the words to "Come come ye saints" came to mind. The line "though hard to you this journey may appear." It is amazing that the journey may appear hard, but I knew what the end was. I knew that there was a promised land so it isn't so hard to walk that far when you know something is better out there that you are trying to achieve. That is how I feel right now in my life. I may not be walking across America but I am on my own journey as I try to support David in medschool, and though this isn't the easiest path, I have faith that the journey is worth it and there is a better place for me after this. I love the gospel that I can learn something about my life from the pioneers a hundred years ago and have greater faith. Isn't that how Heavenly Father works though, with all of the scriptures...

Anyway it was a great day, not too hot and we all made it with no injuries. After we made the 5 mile hike we went to Independence rock and David and I hiked to the top of it.










2 comments:

Clint Carter said...

Good Times!

Melinda said...

sorry we missed it. We were doing our own testimony strengthening exercise in Manti.

Good luck with your journey. It has strengthened you already.