Monday, August 31, 2009

London

The first week we were here, David did not have school and my old companion had a 24 hour lay over in London, so we coordinated for me to come and visit London with her and David stay home with the kids for the weekend.
I left at 1:00 in the morning and rode the bus for 7 1/2hours. I got to London at 7:30 and just started walking. I wasn't to meet up with Elaine until 12 so I walked and walked and walked. I found Buckingham palace, and Big Ben, and Parliament and Westminster Abby.
I walked and walked and loved everything. London is huge and there is so much to see from the just the architecture. I headed my way to our meeting spot, King Cross train station.
I met up with her at 12 at platform 1 at the train station, it seemed kind of romantic, if I were meeting David, but it was still exciting to see Elaine.
We hit the town running. She had lived in London for a semester and really knew her way around. The first thing we did was buy tickets to see Wicked and we got some pretty cheap ones. We got some pizza on the go and we went to the museum, then to the art museum, the bridges, Big Ben again, castles, and cathedrals. It was awesome. We talked and got great treats and had a great time. I was glad to not have my kids there as the "tube" as they call the metro was not very stroller friendly and thousands of people.






We headed back to our hostel to put our backpacks and get ready for the play. I have never stayed in a hostel but this one was in a nice area and the people coming out of it seemed normal... but it was scary inside. You had to check into the basement that seemed like a dungeon then walk through the door to get to the staircase and there was a big skeleton graffitied on the door and the rest of the stair well was graffitied... it was not an inviting place. Our room was fine, as hostels go and we didn't die, although our room number was 13... a little foreboding don't you think?

We went to Wicked and it was awesome. I have been looking forward to seeing this for over 2 years. I wanted to go while we were in New York but we unfortunately went to NYC during the writers strike. I loved it and we had a great time snacking on cookies during the show.

I loved London and I am glad that I got to visit there with Elaine.

5 comments:

Melinda said...

Well i'm sure London's cast was phenomenal!!! What fun to see all those places that you read about. I wish I had kept in better touch with my companions.

Tiffany Gremmert said...

Oaky how totally fun! And Wicked is so great.

Susan said...

It is so exciting that you got to visit London. It is a major place in world history and getting a feel of the streets and the river and the castles and the buses and the people there, helps you to visualize as you read books and study history. I wish you and David could both have gone...Maybe next time.
And getting to see WICKED. Didn't you really loved the music and the costumes. I'm sure you enjoyed it even more because you read the book. After all the caos in your life, I'm glad you had a taste of excitement. We'll have to have a conference call and just talk about the show.

Melanie and Justin said...

Wow you are so lucky! My jealousy is a little overwhelming. I hope you can remember how lucky you guys are when you are missing your family and friends over there. Easily said by someone who lives just four short miles from her family.
That wasn't the Elaine I was expecting to see. How funny. Maybe you counted all the Rachel's spelled so many ways on David's side of the family. Names are so fun!

Elaine said...

"OLD?!!!!" I loved your post. That hostel still gives me the chills, moj.