Friday, August 28, 2009

one thing after another

the problems that we have enquired are unreal. Within 6 days of buying our brand new DELL laptop, the back light went out. We didn't have a computer to find housing, sign up for David's classes or even know where they were, communicate with our families, and entertain the kids with DVDs. It was quite annoying but what do we do. Send it back to Geek Squad in the US and have them take 6-12 weeks to send it back??? David needed it for school. We decided to send it back and buy another one. It was still within the 14 days return policy but we would have to overnight it.
That was a feat. I didn't have a box that would fit, the UPS or fedex didn't have a "store" to drop it off or buy a box, they only picked up deliveries. I had to call up fedex and tell them my dimensions and weight and I payed over the phone and they came and picked it up. But that was not without me dragging a 17" laptop all over town with 2 kids trying to find a box that would fit, all before 3:00, the pickup time. So I went to a grocery store and the MacGyver that I am took 2 apple boxes and basically cut and paste a box around this computer and for stuffing I ripped up the yellowpages. It cost nearly $150 to send the box but it was off.
In the mean time David's dad was at Best Buy getting us 2 new computers to be sent off and he overnighted them to us.... another $250. He received the broken computer and returned it without problem... in theory. The laptops that we were to receive were guaranteed on Monday. Wednesday rolled around and we still didn't have our computers but we got a call from Customs and they wanted 180 pounds to get it out of customs. so we got our computers on Thursday. Milo went and complained that the guarantee on Monday was mute and he got his money back. Yeah, that was one major blessing!!!!
so.... about our finances, david opened an account here and his loan check was sent to America...so milo sent us the check, we put it in the bank and they said that it would take up to 1o for it to be verified and changed to pounds. WHAT!!?!?! we needed money now, bills, food, diapers. But we waited patiently. 3 days later we get a call that says that it will take up to 6 weeks to verify the funds and changed over. We definitely couldn't wait any longer. We were down to our last 9 pounds. I spent the last 4 on bread and milk and david bought a birthday present for Fenton, for his 1st birthday. We truly had spent our last pound. We sure a pathetic bunch.
He went and complained to financial aid and told them our sob story of spending our last 5 pounds for his son's 1st birthday present. They took mercy on us and gave us $350 pounds to get by for a week or two. We will have to pay them back, but it has saved us.
So about the check. We got the check back and sent it straight to our account in America, then we will wire transfer our money over, which could still take us up to 7-10 days. It sounds like we are bad with money, but truly this has been a huge mess.
These have been the major problems... but let me just fill you in on a few minor trials.
both kids had fevers for a few days. I woke up with an infection and knew I had to see the doctor so I walked 25 minutes pushing two kids to the DR.'s office in complete pain and barely able to stand up straight. I have been on antibiotics for a week but the first few days really took a toll on my body and emotions. I have tried to get on the internet for about 2 weeks with every attempt foiled such as going to the library and the only days they were fixing both WIFI and the internet was of course the day I tried, I tried at David's library but apparently I am not allowed into the building and they took away his student card which he had to receive himself late that night. All our outlets in our apartment went our one evening so our fridge, and freezer where off, they have TV permit required if you watch any type of TV and it is 150 pounds so no TV which is fine, I don't even know what to watch here anyway, so we bought a DVD player thinking we could watch DVD's on the big tv, but there are regions for DVD's and all of ours are on region one and their DVD players don't play regions 1, so I had to take it back. Also that meant that we really couldn't rent DVD's while we were here to play on our little DVD player or computer. There are no outlets in the bathroom so I do my hair in the kitchen with a mirror the size of credit card. I don't mean to complain but I am more taking a journal of first few weeks here.
It has been hard not to think that there is something conspiring against us right now. I know that there is a silver lining and that Heavenly Father still loves us and there is something greater than this for us. He still answers prayers but sometimes not the exact prayers we are praying.

2 comments:

Clint Carter said...

I can not believe all of the stuff you have had to go through. My only suggestion, call your bishop and ask for help. I would bet that the ward could be some great support while you are there instead of trying to do everything on you own.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!! You poor thing. You are an amazing wife and mom to be going through all of this. I would have packed up after all of these things happening and stayed with my parents until my husband was done with school. I will keep you in our prayers. I hope things go smoother and that life settles down for your little family.