Thursday, March 20, 2008

Easter Dress




Well, I attempted to make Eliza an Easter dress. I looked for one that I liked and I didn't love any of them. So I ventured and tried to sew. I have sewn before but very badly, very seldom, and under my mothers constant supervision.

I started the dress last Friday and finished today. I called my mom several times, even to figure out how to cut the pattern out of the material. I learned a lot... patterns have horrible verbal instructions and even worse visual instructions. I felt like I was building something and had to keep thinking of the final product and how all of the pieces were going to fit together. I would mess up, a lot, then stop and think and try to reason how everything goes together, with the seams in and zipper in the right place. Well almost every major stitch that I did, I had to undo, but still, in less than 1 week I finish. There are a lot of flaws and if you never look closely it looks ok.

I bought the material for $1 a yard so the dress probably was about $5-$6... then I went to Wal-mart and saw some super cute Easter dresses for $9... I wondered why I was going through the trouble to have a dress that wasn't nearly as cute. Well it is for my pride so say I made my daughter a dress.

9 comments:

Susan said...

Analee, that is so darling. You really did choose a pattern that is not a beginners one... But you did GREAT!! I am REALLY glad that you tried and was so successful. Once you kind of know the rules it all goes faster and better so try something else. I love the pattern and the material...But most of all I love the CUTE MODEL!!!! She is growing up way too fast. Her smile is so darn cute. I can't wait to see her. Anyway...GOOD JOB ANNALEE. Love MOM

Rachel Durazzani said...

I am so impressed! The dress looks great!!! And of course so does Eliza. I've thought of sewing for Hailey but I'm SCARED! I tried to sew a pillow case in high school and it was a terrible experience (complete with breaking my mom's sewing machine) so I've never ventured back. I really want to but I don't think I can do it...so bravo for being brave.

PS: Thanks for commenting on my blog.

Tiffany Gremmert said...

I am so super duper proud of you! That is a huge task to undertake and to have your first attempt back at sewing to be your daughter's Easter dress. Wowee! It turned out so adorable. Cute style and material. Good job, sister!

Tiffany Gremmert said...

oh yeah, and it is so much cooler to say you MADE your daughters dress than to say you found a good deal at Walmart. So be proud!

Melinda said...

WEll, my mouth is on the ground. I looked at the pics and just thought "CUTE dress". Then when I read you MADE it, I had to go back and take a second look. AMAZING. I know the color would be challenging, the sleeves wouldn't be easy, and the zipper..........I stayed away from zippers for years.....well, I still stay away.
So I'm super impressed too. She looks ready for the big day.

Melinda said...

i meant the COLLAR would be challenging.

Lizi said...

Te lumshin duart! I'm so impressed with your skills, the dress is soo cute, and Eliza is getting so BIG! Happy Easter to you and your fam. Te dua!

kelli said...

Great job on the dress! I would never even attempt that! I am impressed. Do you remember Cammie Rock making those beautiful baby dresses at Ricks, and then she has all boys! Anyway,do you know the sex of your baby yet? Are you going to find out? I am so jealous that you guys have a beach and nice warm weather.

Rachael said...

You are amazing. The dress is so cute. I made myself a pregnancy dress once that I really loved and Melinda even wore. I learned the Walmart lesson after that and just didn't have the time and patience to make anything. Samantha and I did make her Halloween costume last Oct. My sewing machine died a few years ago and I haven't really had an excuse to buy a new one. You are just awesome Analee!