Sunday, March 16, 2008

storm in South Carolina

I am not sure if you all new about the tornado that went through Atlanta and tore up a couple of buildings, well that same storm system went through South Carolina. We knew that we would get a little bit of a thunder storm but we didn't know how bad.
Thunder storms happen often here and they are usually accompanied by a tornado warning. Generally it is a precautionary step just in case. Well last night we had a tornado watch. They had at least 3 tornado sightings. We watched the weather last night and the storm was coming right toward us. The big red and pink blobs on the weather channel were heading right for down town and we were in the way. There was a lot of lightning and thunder and we were just aware of what was going on.
As the storm approached I took Eliza from sleeping upstairs to downstairs with us. We watched as the weathermen were telling each specific section to take cover and be in their safe areas of their homes. Well, they finally told West Ashley to get into their safe areas. So all 3 of us got in the bathroom underneath the stairs and got some headlamps, water, food, the portable radio (thanks mom) and Mr. Potato head and were in the bathroom listening to the weather man on TV for about 20 minutes. We just sat there playing Mr. Potato head on the seat of our toilet for 20 minutes. Mind you, our bathroom is 3 feet by 4 feet with a toilet in the middle... very small quarters.
We heard the rain and the thunder but we were safe. The storm passed us fine but about 30 miles north of us a tornado was said to have touched down in a trailer park and took several trailors.
Anyway, we are fine, but still I was greatful that we had a 72 hour kit ready with water and such.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

I"m glad you're safe. It does create a funny picture in my mind of you all crammed in that tiny bathroom. But I'm glad you heeded the advice to take cover.

Those storms in the east are so intense.

Susan said...

That is soooo scary. I didn't know that the storm was headed your way or I would have been freaked out!! I'm so glad that you had every thing ready in case. I agree about the idea of all of you crammed in that tiny space. You should have taken a picture to posterity. Glad you're safe. Love MOM

Rachael said...

This takes me back to our Florida days of staying in the closet with Blake and pregnant. You were so much more prepared than we were and we had days warning. I'm so glad you were safe. I had no idea you were experiencing scary weather!