Saturday, October 2, 2010

Boy or Girl?????

I knew that having a child in a third world country would offer some complications. They do things a bit differently here. I have to bring my own chart to each of my appointments and if I get blood work or an ultrasound I have to do it at a different location then pick up the results and bring them back to my doctor. A bit different than at home.

I am about 20 weeks along now, (half way!!!!) and I got an ultra sound. I found the ultra sound technician downtown Grenada. Finding the place is always half of the battle here. I asked several people where it was and I got 3 different directions. I have a pretty good sense of direction and I learned quickly on my mission to rely on the Holy Ghost to help me find things and places that I needed to find. So I went into this hoping to find the place. I found it quit easily.
With my past experiences with ultrasounds, they are usually at the same location as the Dr. and the technician will describe and explain what we are looking at explain the measurements and the sex of the baby.
While I was getting my ultrasound here, I waited patiently as she took measurements, took pictures and listened to the heart beat for her to explain everything and tell me what she could but she didn't say a word.
She started to wipe off my belly and she said "you can come back tomorrow to pick up the report to take to your Dr."
I then asked, "that's it? well how does everything look?"
She said that she can't say anything and that it is the Dr.'s job to read and assess the report. She was not at liberty to make any calls. I asked her if she at least knew the sex of the baby. She said that from her view she saw that it was a boy.
I was surprised because I had a Dr. appointment 2 weeks ago and the Dr. did an ultrasound and he said that he saw that it was a girl. I told the technician this so she decided to look again and she still supported her own assumption that it was a boy and said she was rarely wrong, but it was still early and it was really the Dr.'s call to make any real decisions.
So who do I believe? I guess I will have to wait a little longer. The final decision has yet to be determined.
FYI...... the ultrasound cost about $30 US.

5 comments:

Melinda said...

How helpful is that? At least it didn't cost an arm and a leg.
So now you ahve to go back there, get the report and wait until your next dr appt before you find out anything else? weird. Cheap but weird.

Susan said...

That is a little odd. But jsut think about the OLD days when you didn't know what you were having until it was born. Unheard of now. Quite exciting then.

Jason and Lorisa Hirschi said...

That is quite the experience....And I thought having a baby in California was different! We are so excited for you....lets us know when you find out the sex ,more deffinant that is...!

Liza said...

Speechless. Unbelievable.

Matt and Debbie said...

That's quite the story. Makes you second-guess everything they would say about the baby if they're so mixed on the sex, huh? Good luck with planning around that, if you decide to do any planning at all (as to getting boy or girl clothes/blankets).